Facebook App ID tags lets Facebook know the identify of your site, which provides additional benefits like social analytics, comments moderation and authentication capabilities to your site.
Facebook App ID
- Social Networks Supported:
- Importance: Useful, but not required
- Can use multiple times on same page: No
- Tag Placement: Head section
- Example: <meta property="fb:app_id" content="1234567890" />
A Facebook App ID isn't required for Likes and Comments (or most other Facebook social widgets) to function. However, if you create a Facebook Application, you can enable additional features on your site like Facebook authentication, invitations and Open Graph Actions.
Advantages of setting the fb:app_id Open Graph value:
- Facebook Insights area, an analytics dashboard for social sharing from your site
- Facebook Comment Moderation Tool, where you can see all comments left across your entire website
- Facebook authentication - This may require an additional add-on for your site (ex. JFBConnect for Joomla)
Your Facebook Application ID can be found in the Facebook Developers Area. The recommendations for setting the Facebook App ID are:
- Set only one tag with the fb:app_id value
- The app_id value is a numerical string from about 9-20 digits long